Friday, June 1, 2007

Let's Elope, Darling

I have always been a romantic. I love happily ever after, guy falls for girl (or the other way around) stories. Every little girl watches at least one movie, or reads at least one book filled with a heart warming love story that makes her dream and wish to find her own prince charming.

I have witnessed several relationships grow and turn into marriages. It is marvelous to have so many good examples of happy couples, even through the hard times. The only thing that has always bugged me about the whole marriage thing, though, is the prodigious size of wedding celebrations. So much money and worry go into the planning and pulling together of ring ceremonies, receptions, and open houses. Ugg. It is all well and good to have a nice party for family and friends, but I think that a lot of people overdo it. There is the life after the party to remember, after all.

I have been a bride's maid for all of my siblings' weddings and will be one again, in just a few weeks. I am so tired of wedding preparations and I'm not even a major part of the ordeal. It is ridiculous. I don't think I am going to have bride's maids at my wedding... that is, if I ever marry. You know the saying, "always a bride's maid, never a bride." DUN DUN Dun... just kidding. ;) Bride's maids are a cause of useless worry. The girls I know wouldn't care one way or the other whether I asked them to be a part of my wedding or not. If I were to choose a special person to stand by my side, it would be a maid of honor and I would choose my cousin Kahli. This is because she is like my sister and my best friend. Still having bride's maids, at a Mormon reception, seems pointless. It is not like we have isles to march down (unless there is a ring ceremony performed), rings and bouquets to be carried, or any of that jazz.

The point of this blog = wedding receptions tend to be too huge! I want a small reception, if i have to have one. If my future hubby is out there and reading this.... "Let's elope, darling!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the small receptions too. Sorry, but I cannot marry you. I don't think you should be worry about "Always a bride's maid, never a bride" Just quit saying that. Why you doing this? If you want for him to be the "one and only" (they don't come perfect), just don't do the think that my girlfriend did with me... She wanted to sparkle my interest by saying (not directly) that she has a boyfriend (while I was gone).
And I was gone again...I guess forever. If you don't like the ceremonies, you shouldn't like taking pictures too. While take them? Everything will dissappear anyway, right?

Julia (AKA: Jewels) said...

I agree that too often the wedding reception is a bigger deal than the action wedding ceremony (often to the point of overshadowing it all together.. That I believe is wrong.

Personally I would be fine with just a wedding (as long as I can be sealed to my companion for time and all eternity what else matters?), but for my friends and family I will consent to a simple yet fun reception/ or open house. I have seen it done before.

Lastly if the term three times a bridesmaid, then never a bride" was real, then I would have been doomed to old maidness forever ago. (what a depressing thought. LOL)