Sunday, May 3, 2009

Farris Wheel Phobia

My mom is deathly afraid of heights and yet at lagoon, a few years back, we persuaded her to go on the Farris Wheel with us. She was doing just fine-- focusing on her happy place and white-knuckling some bars-- until my cousin decided to "cure her of her phobia." He figured that if he pried her hands form the bars that she'd suddenly realize there was nothing to be afraid of. This plan didn't work, in the least, and the poor woman lost control. It was not pretty, and I do not recommend disturbing a person's happy place... uh... EVER.

I'm sure that a group of people coming off a ride with a hysteric woman was quite the sight. I can just picture an impressionable little kid seeing us and thinking to himself, "Golly! That ride must be horrid." For all we know my mom's scene could have made a whole litter of little children deathly afraid of Farris Wheels.... and the phobia is passed on.

No comments: