Sunday, February 24, 2008

9th Grade Somethings

Today, I received an email from my friend, Stephanie. She had been looking through old word files on her computer and came across one of our crazy 9th grade English projects. Reading this brought back an infinite number of memories. We were definitely on the weird side, back in the day. Heck! We still are... :) If you so choose to read this be sure and picture a set of teenage girls in totally awesome Renaissance garb. Enjoy!
Fashion and Dress Script
Stephanie: This is the Fashion and Dress Booth, and we will be giving you a little bit of information about the Renaissance Period and the way they dressed. We will demonstrate to you how the Fashion and Dress of that time was extremely important to everyone, as it helped separate those of the different classes: Upper, Middle and Lower.
*Start Skit*
Molly: Abigail sits and sighs, saying,
Brooke: Gown, Gown, where art thou, Gown?
Molly: Suddenly, Diana jumps out, sounding somewhat excited and guilty.
Stephanie: Abigail! There is something I have been meaning to tell you! *sniff* I have your father’s gown!!!!
*Gasps from all*
Ashley: Men of the early Renaissance wore gowns, which were long jackets that reached the floor. The gowns had long sleeves that were puffed out, and both men and women wore very pointed shoes and tight hats,
Molly: Let’s rewind that a little.
Stephanie: I have your father’s gown!!!!
*Gasps from all*
Molly: Abigail looks distraught, and screams,
Brooke: NOOOOOOOOOO! You killed my father’s gown!!!
Molly: Diana smiles evil-like.
Stephanie: No, I AM your father’s gown!
Molly: Abigail, with a confused look, says,
Brooke: that can’t be so! You look more like a cloak!
Ashley: After about 15 years, gowns were discarded, and men now adorned cloaks, which were wider, but much shorter, and revealed the adopted tight pants of a man.
Molly: Diana smiles,
Stephanie: My dear, I think your eyes deceive you! For you must be blinded by your bright jewelry, which shows of your high class!
Ashley: Wealthy women of the Renaissance wore large gowns which usually had pearls or gems sown into them. Also, women wore a lot of jewelry around their necks, wrists, fingers, and even in their hair.
Molly: Abigail laughs,
Brooke: This is not so! Sunglasses have been invented! *whips out sunglasses*
Stephanie: You lie!!!!
Brooke: I don’t! They’re on my bloody face! Now what, pray tell, did my father’s gown look like??
Molly: Diana looks scared.
Stephanie: Uh…ahem…Well, it had…a…FARTHINGALE!! Yes! And a chemise!
Ashley: A farthingale is a hooped skirt spread over wire to give the outer skirts a ‘poor’ and a chemise is a slip-like undergarment to protect out skirts from wear and bodily perspiration and such.
Brooke: No!
Molly: screams Abigail.
Brooke: that is from my mother’s wardrobe! You are a lying, beef-witted footlicker! Don’t you know the penalty for dressing above your social class?
Molly: Diana looks down.
Stephanie: No, I really do have the gown!
Brooke: and you say I lie! Leave my sight immediately, you *begins to sing* Riff Raff, Street rat!-
Stephanie: I don’t buy that! If only they’d look closer! Would they see a peasant?
Stephanie and Brooke together: No ser-ie: they’d find out, there’s so much more to me (you)!
Molly: Abigail looked surprised.
Brooke: Well, what about you?
Stephanie: Well…I know a lot about our history and fashion!!
Brooke: Really? Let’s be friends!
*All Prance off Happily*

.... like I said, "weird."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.