Friday, February 15, 2008

Variety = Quite a Task

6/20/07

The one problem I face, with reading, is that I seem to get stuck in a genre of books that has one basic format. For example: all of the Jane Austen novels have young women looking for love, who fall for lying "evil" men or face great opposition in love, but every single one of them ends with a perfect match-- gallant and handsome chaps who have been in the stories all along. Similar forms are alright, I suppose. After all, I do enjoy a good happily ever after plot line, but I wish that writers would a get a bit more creative and less obvious. I, being a writer, am probably going to eat my own words. I know that coming up with a story bursting with edge and intrigue is most likely not an easy task. Seeing as how I've never finished any of my stories, I'm not one to be talking, now am I? :)

Also... I really need to broaden my horizons in the genre department. If i don't like a particular type of story or am annoyed by an author's choice of words or plot lines, then I need to go out there and find something else to read. haha.

No comments: