Friday, February 15, 2008

What's in a Name?

5/11/07

Don't ya love how friends tend to give out random endearments. I've been called all sorts of things (Brookie, Brokee, Brooklynne, Brook-a-lyn, Brooklynnderson, Bond, Burp, Zipper, Jessica, Magdalena, Schmookie ,and etc.). The list just keeps getting bigger. Good times? Sure, why not. Do I have a favorite nickname? Not really. As long as the person using the nickname and the nickname, itself, are a decent combination, all is well. I'm going to have to say, though, that Brooklynnderson has a creative zing to it. :)

Why do we give nicknames, anyhow? Any ideas? In the words of Shakespeare: "What's in a name?" After all, "a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet."

I have a cousin who's parents gave him the middle name of Korky. It was, though, recently changed to Johann Henry, a common family name on his father's side. He went from a little strange name to one that is now monstrously long. Who's to say which is worse? What do you think? How would you like to bubble in the following (on forms and such), the rest of your life? My cousin's new name is 88888 88888 88888 888888888-888888888. Phew, just typing it makes me want to take a nap!

My middle name has no genealogical significance, but it is lovely. In fact, once or twice, I almost considered having people call me by my middle name. What would that be like? Hmmm... I don't know. I was blessed with three very nice names and will respond gladly to any of them. What can I say, my parents did well. :)

No comments: