Saturday, March 10, 2007

"Let not mercy and truth forsake thee..."

Below is a blog that a friend of mine posted on myspace.com. Following it is my response.

Saturday, March 10, 2007
7:47 AM - They say our feet were made for dirt, I disagree
I have a confession to make: I don't know the difference between a democrat or a republican.And honestly, I don't care to find out. I don't understand why our government has decided to eliminate our choices, and narrow it down to 2. I know there's the green party, and there's a few other candidates, but they never get enough votes, nor the financial support.Anyway, my point is that I decided I really don't like generalizations such as that. I know, I tell my friends all the time that someone is "emo" or whatever, but that's not what I'm talking about. Sort of.I don't understand why we should be categorized into shit like that. I don't care that Democrats only think this way, and Republicans think that way. I don't agree with what some democrats say, and what some republicans say, so I'm not going to be thrust into either category.But this isn't just a political view. I also feel the same way about religion. If you do not already know, at the moment, I attend the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, aka, I'm Mormon. However, I don't agree with all of their teachings. For example. about November last year I think, I wrote a blog about how I think that Murder is the worse thing you could possibly do. However, the LDS religion believes that completely denying God (not just saying "Oh, I don't believe in God" but actually protesting against him, is the worse thing you could do. I just don't understand how that could be worse. Also, if you don't already know this, I am completely and utterly against any type of murder. No human has the right to take the life of another human.From now on, I no longer consider myself Mormon. However, I do not denounce that what the church teaches is false. There are parts of their doctrine that I do believe, but I don't agree with all of it.I consider myself a human being, who believes in whatever I feel to be justifiably right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To [name]:

Concerning Labeling:

We, as humans, have a tendency to label the nouns (people, places, things, and ideas). This tendency assists our brains with the process of taking in information. With the quick attachment of a name, we can filter information-- wrong or right-- hence, we categorize, stereotype or what have you. Even saying that humans label, categorize, and stereotype is a form of labeling!

From infancy, we learned to communicate with other humans. We practiced vocalization by zealously saying "mommy" or "doggy" when a woman or animal came into view. We learned the names of colors, body parts, objects, and etc. so that we would be able to describe the world around us. These labels are only descriptions. They are not the whole of whatever is being described but they do play as factors, however minuscule.

When trying to tell your friend about someone you just met, you might end up using words having to do with skin color, body shape, skills, accessories, or religion. Depending on where a person is from and what he or she has learned to categorize as the norm, descriptions may vary. For example: if the person you are describing happens to have dark skin and you live in Idaho (where most of the population is considered "white"), you will probably clarify that he or she is different than the norm by being "black." This is not a racist comment or negative labeling. It is just a description of physical appearance.

The neurological process of labeling has played a role in lives of men, from the beginning. The multiple chapters of history are filled with carnage, hatred, jealously, segregation, and social injustices because this process was used in extremes. Negative connotations made their way into society and when combined with the fear of all things foreign, labeling became more than a means of keeping one's brain from exploding (because of too much info). It transformed into a self-esteem booster (for those wanting to be the better people), a way to scapegoat (for those wanting someone to blame), a form of justification (for those wanting to dehumanize others who are simply different than themselves), and the list goes on.

We all label. These are my labels for you, right now (for further emphasis): you are a human being, a white American, an 18-year-old male, a [his last name], a Boise citizen, a friend, and a W.O.W player (to name a few...).


Concerning Beliefs and Religious Doctrine:

"And honestly, I don't care to find out"~ [his last name].

My man, there's your problem. When you don't understand something, you don't take the time to learn about it. Then you "label" it as crap. Did I say label? I think I did. :) So... about the government and religion, research and pray about them. You don't have to stand for a group, but you should stand for principles. There are eternal truths whether you want to believe it or not. Take, for instance, the law of gravity: (thanks to Newton and a bruise's worth of discovery/ experimentation) we know that what goes up must come down. It is a truth.

You mentioned murder and the denying of God. From my understanding, a person who denies God (on the level of sin worse than murder) is a son of perdition. This person has seen God, Jesus Christ, or both. He or she knows, for a fact, that they exist; therefore, there is no longer faith needed and yet there is denial. This is why (in this sense) denying the existence of God is so terrible, a worse sin than murder. In 2 Thess 2:3-4, it says: "... the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." Saying that you are above God is worse than murder because when a person commits murder, he or she is only attempting to be above another human by taking away that individual's physical existence. Also, a murderer hasn't taken away everything. There is still life, progression, and agency after death. Both sins are bad, but there are levels of evil acts and levels of consequences to go along with them. According to LDS doctrine, murderers still are allowed in the Telestial kingdom, with some level of glory. A son of perdition, though, is cast into outer darkness to endure eternal torment.

Concerning Attachments and Identity:

"Hence, why I do not want to associate myself with anything. I want to be me. Maybe this is just a phase of finding myself, but I don't feel like I need to be included in a religion, a political group, or any of that other bull[@#?*]. All I need is my friends" ~[last name].

Sorry to use you own words against you (again), but...

Saying that you don't want to be associated with anything is like saying you don't want to exist. You can't be [name] with out being attached to the things that have happened in [name]'s life, the things that [name] does, the things that [name] believes in, and the things that [name] loves. Don't be afraid of what people think. Eleanor Roosevelt once said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." In essence, you are giving your consent to be labeled as a nobody when you are afraid to be associated with anything or any group that stands for something. If you aren't associated with ideals that can be potentially put down, then you have nothing. I'd rather stand for something and have strong beliefs than be a fence sitter with neutral ideas or ones that change because of the opinions of others.

All you need is your friends, eh? One day your friends will go on missions, move away (to college and such), get married, and (as morbid as it may seem) die. Basically, people and circumstances change. I have seen relationships come and go in my life and in the lives of those around me. I would be careful to tread upon such an unstable foundation. I'm not saying that friends are bad, but you have to be careful. The influence of a friend can be very powerful. There are and always will be both good and bad peer pressures.

You, my dear, need some direction in your life: ideals, values, dreams, goals, and so on.
Such things will make your life experiences so much more complete, happy, and fulfilling.
Figure out who you are, what you believe in, and what you want to be "labeled". It is important! You are hitting/have already hit a very challenging time in your life. Satan and his legions hate that you have so much potential. They don't want you to succeed! They are (and will continue to) pound you with their well developed tactics. They've been around A LONG time and are good at what they do. Don't give in, or go astray. I know you know what is right and what is wrong. So get up and do something about it. Sitting around and waiting for a life/identity to come to you is not the best plan of action. Do you want to leave butt prints in the sand of time? I think not. You can do anything that you put your mind to!!!! You are one of the most academically capable persons of my acquaintance. I'm rootin' for you to figure things out, and will love you through whatever happens, and through all of your choices (whether I agree with them or not).

That is all.

7 comments:

Oddyssus said...

Well if he does not take your advice and apply it. I know I will. Especially the part about the “butt prints in the sands of time.” I love playing video games. Eve is my favorite. I can understand his objections, and I want to agree with his conclusions, if I did so I would only be lying to myself and making excuses for why not to do what I really know is right. Good luck young man if you think you know better than the teachings of the only true and living church on the face of the entire earth, have at it. I tell you from personal experience that you will only hurt yourself and those who love you.

Nostromo said...

@oddyssus

First of all, I do not believe there is only one true church on the earth. God can't expect everyone to follow the LDS church. It's just not going to happen. A lot of people don't even know the LDS church exists.

Second, if my opinions offend anyone, then it is they who is hurting themselves. It's my opinion. If you don't like it, then don't accept it. That's why it's an opinion. I don't think what I believe should hurt anyone, nor myself.

lacy.toussaint said...

I do have to say that I think you are so smart. Wise beyond your years, but what has taken place to make you suddenly think that, by denouncing yourself in the religion we have been raised in? I want you to know that I dont think every member belives everything that the church teaches, but it is our responsibility to take what we know to be true and run with it. Do I think that I will not go to heaven because I am going through a rough patch in my life, no. Will you? Probably not. I think that it is good to be head strong in something that you beleive in, but please dont (for yourself and your future generations)do something so drastic that it will hinder all wonders. What if it is all true, what if we CAN'T live with him if we dont follow his name in the Church? It is like I tell my dad, "Why not just take the steps to be 100% sure that we get there?"

Oddyssus said...

Let me clarify, There is only one true and living church on the face of the entire earth. It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This is the Kingdom of God on the earth. It is the only way to exaltation all other paths fall short of this. In the area of eternal truths such as these it does not matter what we believe or what our opinions are they are eternal truths.

Redemption, Salvations and Exaltation are not synonyms. Salvation is found outside of the “church” but Exaltation in the Celestial kingdom is not. Salvation comes to all who claim Jesus Christ as their savior in the church this is called the terretrial kingdom of heaven. I never said every one was going to join the “Church” and god respects a persons choices so he adjusted his plan to fit whatever any individual wants. Heaven is big enough for us all and even you in your present state of mind will go to this kingdom for you have not denied the Christ and it sounds as if you do believe in him.

Then there are other people who will not even believe in Christ after they are told. You already know the name of this kingdom in Heaven. Even these partake in the redeeming power of Christ. There is not a single person that God has not planed for whatever there choices. Find me a system more complete. You cannot. You never will be able to because all truth belongs to the Kingdom of God. This church is that Kingdom this is not opinion it is fact and it does not matter what you say you can not change that.

Why does you opinion hurt other people? You say that it should not hurt other people but it does. Your ignorance is painful to me because you think that what you say and think will change what really is. You are a poor fool if you continue to fallow this path of thought that you have begun upon.

I am speaking from experience, by all means keep your opinion and die with it then you will know as I know now that this way of thinking that you so ignorantly defend is foolishness and vain.

Nostromo said...

@oddyssus

"There is only one true and living church on the face of the entire earth. It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."

Logically that doesn't make sense, and I know God has logic. You can't expect every human being to follow the LDS church. It's impossible. Everyone grows up different, and respond differently when you inform them you have "found" the one and only true church in the world. People will say you're wrong, because of how they grew up, and may never even know it's true. Yet, you respond saying that you know not everyone is perfect (which is true) and the God can't expect them to find the "only true church." There are many other churches who teach the same basic principles the LDS church teaches.

"Why does you opinion hurt other people? You say that it should not hurt other people but it does. Your ignorance is painful to me because you think that what you say and think will change what really is. You are a poor fool if you continue to fallow this path of thought that you have begun upon."

Like I said, it's my opinion. and I am not ignorant. I have looked deeply into these matters, and I know what I'm doing. The only fool you have named, is yourself for thinking that I am ignorant.

"I am speaking from experience, by all means keep your opinion and die with it then you will know as I know now that this way of thinking that you so ignorantly defend is foolishness and vain."

Once again, I am not ignorant. As I said before, I have looked deeply into these matters. I didn't just wake up one day, and decide this.

Also, to clear things up, I am only shedding the label of being a "Mormon" because most people include other things, that I don't necessarily believe. I am also relieving myself of other labels such as political parties or other such things. So please, stop calling me ignorant, and realize that I'm not just blindly saying this, and that I'm only trying to rid myself of beliefs I don't believe, that may instantly spring into their minds when I say I'm "Mormon."

Oddyssus said...

Alex you are an ignorant fool for you wrest the scriptures. I know it is hard for you to deal with that I truly wish you the best because it breaks my heart to see such potential intelligence go to waste. To night I will plead to God in behalf of your immortal soul. It does not matter how much thought you put into your beliefs if the thinking is coming from the wrong source my brother I know, I really do know.

Oddyssus said...

Alex, this is what I know. If you continue on the path that you are on you will lose the association of all those who are most dear to you. You will trade the praise of God for the praise of man and you will lose the love of your life. For your substance will be less than what is necessary to obtain her hand in marriage. You will surround yourself with people who’s minds will be filled with cotton candy, incredible thoughts that are very sweet to the taste but they will have no sustenance within them. Is this not foolishness? My brother you cannot dispute these things and if you do it matters not. For this is the reward at the end of the path upon which you now walk.

My brother please, please reconsider your position. Do not fallow that other way, you are not meant to walk that path. You are a son of God. Destined not only to return to His Sons presence but to become in very essence like God. This is your eternal destiny. Will you trade this for anything less? I have pored out my heart to God in your behalf now it is up to you. Please, please be wise. I know you have it within you to do so. Please validate the atonement in its fullness this is wisdom.